Thursday, July 3, 2008

The Elusive Golden Gai


The Golden Gai are these tiny alley ways filled with miniature bars, were 5 people at most fit in most of them. It looks like a movie set. This is where the artists, actors, directors and those obsessed by film go to hang out. If you are gaijin good luck, cause either you will be met with icey stares, or get over charged. Also you have people that are just the regulars and since there are approximately 4 to 5 spaces at the bar and no standing room you kinda have to get there early to actually be able to get in. Now I'm not saying everyone's unfriendly, I did not myself partake at the bars just perused. BUT I'm going back in October and I plan to avail myself of these fine mini establishments,becuase the rumor is that big companies and the government are bullying these guys to shut them down much like Yakitori Alley, also known as Omoide Yokocho, or as the locals delightfully call it "Shonben Yokocho" (piss alley). So if you are in Tokyo try to not miss the Golden Gai or Yakitori Alley, they are what you are really looking for in Tokyo.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...